The Leadership Owensboro Program is a joint program of the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Corporation focused on educating and engaging individuals to reach their potential and maximize their impact in the community.
Objectives of the Program:
- Improve the quality of life in the Greater Owensboro region by developing future leaders
- Identify key individuals with demonstrated leadership qualities and concern for Owensboro’s future
- Develop an educational program to familiarize participants with Greater Owensboro community’s opportunities, needs, challenges and resources
- Expose participants to a wide variety of current local leaders and notable persons through various types of networking opportunities
- Encourage independent thinking, fresh perspectives, and approaches
- Empower participants with relevant community issue knowledge and future possibilities for their engagement in Leadership roles
Each year, individuals are selected through an application process to be a part of the Leadership Owensboro program. Leadership Owensboro has an alumni base of more than 1,000 civic, business and education leaders.
The program includes 10 sessions from September to May each year. Sessions are a full day class, with topics including:
- Expanding Leadership in Owensboro
- Human Needs and Services
- Education – Pre-K through Adult Learning
- Innovation, Agriculture and Our Economic Development Strategy
- Issues in Local Government
- Healthcare in Our Community
- State Capitol Visit
- Crime, Drugs and Jails
- Arts & Tourism in our Community
- Changing Your Community (class presentations)
- Graduation Celebration and Alumni Reception
In addition to the classes and exposure throughout the community, class participants work in groups to research a need in the community and present solutions for implementation. The presentations are judged by elected officials and business leaders, and voted on by peers for which project to champion for implementation.
Leadership Owensboro 2017-2018: