Owensboro Community & Technical College – Biology Instructor (full-time)
Owensboro Community and Technical College is a three-campus institution located along the Ohio River in Western Kentucky. OCTC is one of sixteen institutions in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System and awards certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees in liberal arts and technical education. To learn more about OCTC, please visit https://owensboro.kctcs.edu/ and to learn more about Owensboro and the surrounding area, you may visit https://visitowensboro.com
OCTC offers a variety of health plans, wellness incentives, and retirement options for full-time regular employees. Alternate benefit variations for temporary and/or part-time job types are also available. Benefit plans include; Medical, Dental, Vision, Life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, LTD, and Supplemental Insurance plans. Wellness Programs includes incentives applied to an HRA card for healthy life choices and activities. Additional Benefits include; vacation pay, holiday pay, institutional closure pay (2 weeks), sick pay, EAP, tuition waiver & discounts, and employee discounts. Retirement plan is a Defined Contribution 403(b) plan, 5% employee contribution with 10% employer match. Visit our benefits link for more details. https://systemoffice.kctcs.edu/employees/employee_benefits_summary.aspx
Owensboro Community and Technical College invites applications for an instructor to teach Biology in the Department of Mathematics, Natural and Social Sciences. This position will provide instruction in undergraduate general education biology courses using a variety of teaching methods. Classes may include in-person, online, and/or hybrid modes of instruction. Primary teaching assignments will include Human Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, General Biology, and Introductory Biology courses with laboratories.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties/responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Teach introductory and intermediate Biology classes
• Incorporate a variety of teaching methods and materials to assist students with differing educational experiences, experiential backgrounds, and learning styles to assist them in meeting course competencies. Evaluate students’ progress towards stated course competencies and inform them of their progress in a timely manner.
• Provide quality and timely course access to students and communicate availability through appropriate methods such as posted campus/office hours and electronic communication. Maintain professional relationship with colleagues, students, and the community.
• Participate in non-teaching assignments including academic advising, professional development, internal and external service, and other assigned responsibilities determined in consultation with supervisors.
• This position requires teaching a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester, or a minimum of 30 credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters combined. Teaching assignment may include teaching on one or more of the college’s campuses in person, hybrid, online or some combination thereof, based on the needs of the students.
Candidates must possess a strong commitment to excellence in teaching, working with a diverse population, and the community and technical college mission.
Master’s degree from an accredited university with 18 graduate hours of coursework in Biology or related fields.
Prior teaching experience preferred
• The successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge, experience, or evidence of a commitment to inclusivity, and excellence in teaching methodologies that effectively engage our diverse student population.
• The candidate should have experience with instructional technologies, including presentation software and learning management systems (i.e., Blackboard Ultra, Canvas, Banner etc.).
• Candidates should demonstrate proficiency with technology, as well as written, verbal, and interpersonal communication.
• Prior teaching experience preferred.
Applicants must complete and submit:
• Online application
• Cover letter
• Copy of all college transcripts
• Kentucky State Law requires state and national pre-employment background checks as a condition of employment
• Candidates selected for interview will perform a teaching demonstration
The position is based on a term-contract, with the expectancy of continuance based on performance.
Application Deadline: December 5, 2021
Duties will begin Spring 2022. Only applicants selected for an interview will be notified. The search may be extended if additional candidates are needed.